Bruneck Oberragen








Bruneck Ursulinen Kirche











Bruneck Stadtgasse



















 
Bruneck Brunico

Bruneck (italian Brunico) is a lively small town on a human scale. Brimming with history at its heart, with natural and rural surroundings, Bruneck is varied! An enormous variety of leisure activities, easy hospitality, the mountains of the Dolomites and Zillertal Alps and the combination of urban cultural history and agricultural customs increase the fascination of a stay in the "Pearl of the Puster Valley".



<- Map of he historic town center

          Places of interest in the centre of Bruneck

1. Ursuline Church

Built at the start of the 15th century in the Gothic style, the frescoes in the church are by Johannes of Bruneck and date from around 1420. The crypt of the Ursuline Church is the oldest part of the entire cloister building and dates from the period around 1410; the crypt space is almost empty, but hugely atmospheric - sanctified by centuries of the silence of the dead.

2. War Cemetery

The 77 Italian soldiers who were once buried here were reburied in 1932 in the newly built mausoleum in Pocòl; the same is true of the 45 German soldiers, who were reburied in the cenotaph on the Pordoi Pass.

3. Bruneck Castle

No matter which side you approach the town from, the first thing you will see is the large, beautiful bishop's palace, Bruneck Castle.

4. Rainkirche

On the castle mount, this church was remodelled in the Baroque style in 1675, and has a beautiful onion dome with interesting coats of arms

5. Stadtgasse

The picturesque Stadtgasse is predominantly medieval in character and has four town gates and interesting frescoes. The eastern gate "Raintor or Unterttainertor" (6.) leads into the Oberstadt district of the town (7.), which is dominated by the Sternbach Palace (8.). The Oberstadt is also home to the Mariensäule, a work by the Brixen artist Michael Rasner (1661-1725), which was endowed in 1716 by Anton von Wenzl, Baron von Sternbach.

 9. Parish Church

With a valuable crucifix by Michael Pacher and the Mathis organ, which was refurbished in 1983, the largest in South Tyrol. In Mühlgasse, near the Parish Church there is a fresco.

10. Town Museum

The town museum for graphic arts was opened in 1995 in the restored, converted postal stables, in which in earlier centuries the horses were fed and watered and the postal coaches stood ready for travellers.

11. Church of the Holy Spirit

Beautiful, renovated Baroque church, built in the mid 14th century. Baroque depiction of the baptism of Christ by Franz Unterberger (1707-1776)

12. Capuchin Church

The Capuchin monastery (since 1626) and the Capuchin Church; they are kept very simply, in line with the principles of the order.

Continuing along the Dantestrasse, at the road junction to Dietenheim you will find one of the oldest and most beautiful shrines in Tyrol.

13. The Floriani Gate

Once known as "Lucke" (or hole), the gate carries a painting by the South Tyrolean painter Rudolf Stolz (1874-1960) which shows Saint Florian, the Bruneck coat of arms and the town's founding bishop, Bruno. In Florianigasse, St. Florian, a work by the Bruneck artist Josef Bachlechner (1871-1923) can be seen.

The Graben (the main road)

Eduard von Grebmer was born in 1821 in Bruneck. He was elected mayor in 1861, and became a deputy in both the Vienna parliament and the Tyrolean regional assembly. In 1869 the king appointed him governor of Tyrol. He died in 1875; just a few years later the citizens of Bruneck erected a monument in the "Graben" for him in thanks for his services to both the town and the entire region.


 
Baroque music on period instruments - Verein Cordia Bruneck South Tyrol Italy - +39 348 92 83 941 - St.Nr. 02403510213
  Site Map